Art Music Fashion Film Comedy Games Technology Events Other

Monday 13 October 2008

sofi donuts meets seb chew...

We all know n love Seb Chew for a number of reasons, firstly we love him for being the big Daddy behind LDN's "YoYo" at Notting Hill Arts Club. A dapper weekly night showcasing new talent followed by anything to get you shockin out, line up's have included Mark Ronson, Busy P, Dj Q & MC Bones, Lupe Fiasco, Sinden & The Cool Kids...you get the idea! It's crackers! The Polydor A&R man also signed the "Scissor Sisters" & more recently "The Klaxons". Being big on the bassline right now we love Seb's sets & have booked him a couple of times, he always smashes it. I thought I'd ask him some things he probably doesn't get asked much, why he likes Bristol & I'm gunna ask about Garms...he's always turned out nicely, so let's see what he has to say....

Holla Seb! We've booked you a couple of times for Donuts here in Bristol. The crowd love you, we love you, do you love Bristol & why??
Mainly cos of the grimyness... I think people appreciate the grimyness there more than anywhere else. You know that you can go quite hard and people won't be scared.

Donuts gave you a Rockers NYC T as a present once, you seem to wear it a lot. Tell me about what floats your boat, clothing wise....
Ha, or maybe I just wear it when there's goons with cameras about. I really like what they do, I've been into streetwear stuff for a long time ( really via skating and early stussy etc ) and have seen alot of trends come and go and I feel like now it really needs something fresh and interesting to come along rather than the same old stuff all the time. I think there's so much average stuff out there so when something original and cool comes around it kind of wacks me round the head and makes me happy. I think thats what the rockers lot have done as far as I can see so far.

There really isn't too many other things I love, old classic skate stuff, Kaws is good but I prefer the older stuff he did pre Original Fake. Supreme are always strong but you have to buy their stuff in the US cos the prices here are so silly. It feels abit like a mugging off when you see the prices in the NY shop.

Oh and i really like visvim, but I think that could be cos I'm getting old and have too many pairs of Nikes, that I need to move onto something else now!

Will you be taking part in the upcoming Streetfighter x Trapstar Battle at YoYo? The night stays fresh because you do things like this, your line ups smack it already, so what do you have planned for the future?
Nah, we won't actually be playing, I got a bit shamed last time. I sucked and got beat in the first round. Oh well, I didn't profess to be a G at it or anything ( unlike some people....Charlie Crockett ).

For the future at YoYo we just want to keep booking new people that are exciting us. In Aug / Sept we've got Mistajam from 1xtra, Rusko & Drop the Lime from NYC. Trying to keep it set in black music ( I hate that term but you know what I mean ) but also push it a bit with other stuff too.

Since your a man of talent spotting, is there any artist from Bristol that you think is gunna make it big?
With the Bristol thing, I'm not too up on the band stuff from there, but definitely from a dance and electronic perspective, there's always something interesting coming from there. I'm really feeling that Joker dude...yeah he's heavy.

I would like to know Seb Chews top 5 tracks of the moment...
1. A Milli, A Billi - Lil Wayne / Jigga
2. Terminator - Caspa
3. I'm On - Nas
4. Universal Mind Control - Common
5. Bulletproof - La Roux

La Roux is dope, she's new & we have just signed her, she is managed by The Klaxons manager. Her new track "Bulletproof" is like Yazoo meets The Knife!

YoYo it - myspace.com/yoyouk

No comments: