Art Music Fashion Film Comedy Games Technology Events Other

Monday 10 November 2008

Rock the Bells 2008...

So, I went to this last night at the Indigo in the O2 Arena, London. I must warn before I start telling you about my night that I sound like a completely spoilt brat, but I don't care, I'm gunna tell it exactly how it was.

I made my way to the O2 Arena for the first time ever at around 4pm, Jamie was late so I made my way to the Indigo to meet the simply awesome Alex Leon (he invited us), he works for Guerrilla Union / Rock the Bells. I was greeted with a huge hug & an Access All Areas patch. YES! He showed me around the venue & introduced me to Ollie from Live Nation, then Jamie arrived n we all made our way backstage. Sipping on some Heineken, Alex introduced us to each n every artist as they arrived including Supernatural, Scratch (the roots), The Pharcyde (slimkid commented on my shoes, I went all unnecessary) & I was super happy to meet Chang n all the guys behind the Legendary Documentary "Rock the Bells". I love that movie, it's probably the best Documentary I've ever seen, I let everyone know it n we chatted about the highs n lows of actually being there....something we didn't see on the movie were the people that fell through what they thought was a roof & landed in a goldmine! It was a fully stocked bar, so of course they went straight at the liquor, beer kegs...dragged it out & drank it all!!

Before the venue opened I popped out to catch Supernatural sound checking with Scratch...the room was pretty empty other than me & some girls from Choice FM sticking up some posters, so of course we were in line to be included in one of his infamous freestyle raps. I can't remember the first part of the rap but it involved one of the Choice FM chicks taking a photo of him, he then turned to me & said "You in the yellow shoes, you can take one too!"

So, then the people started pouring in & the queue started growing, Alex wanted to check the mob outside so we went out while he filmed all the happenings. Jamie made a point of the fact that Pharcyde were due on now so pegged it back inside & there they were "Runnin" what a tune to start with. Alex knowing how much I love The Pharcyde took us to the front of the stage in front of the barriers to watch the show. Slimkid was practically crowd surfing & being grabbed at from all angles (I have all this on film), I was at Fatlips feet, the energy of all 4 of um together was so dope. They looked perfectly at home & it was pretty plain to see they were having total fun...my top highlights of the Pharcyde show...

1. Drop
2. Ya Mama
3. Oh Shit! The crowd singing "Ohhhh shit!" in time...
4. Runnin
5. The Pharcydes rendition of "My Prerogative" with full dance routine included, in total sync! couldn't actually believe what I was seeing
6. The photos I managed to get
7. The video footage I managed to get
8. Jamie’s face of pure delight
9. The fact that I was seeing my favourite hip hop group ever, for the first time, with all 4!!!
10. Pack the Pipe, with full lyrics & sound effects "thank you olddd maaaannnn"

The aftermath was pretty dope too, got some siiiccckkk photographs, all of which are on Nash's camera in LDN, he was kind enough to lend me his cam..I will upload them as soon as I have them. Imani & Slimkid were such gentlemen, so were the others but I spent more time chatting with these 2. Scratch pimping a rather nice Rocksmith Jacket, fell asleep on the sofa & snored the entire way through the Pharcyde's Interview for 1Xtra, yes I have photos.

We ended the night up on the side of the stage with Dizzee Rascal, Alex & a couple of others for Nas' set. The crowd looked amazing, it was such an awesome view....I still can't believe I was there, all seems like a dream right now. In fact all the people at the show were amazing, the vibe was beyond crazy & I'm so happy it was so successful. We in the UK have been waiting for this moment for so long. I can't wait till the day they come back.

Such a huge thanks to Alex Leon the host with the most, he looked after us so well & cheers to all the artists for being as nice as I could have asked for (spesh the pharcyde). Photos & videos to come ASAP...until then here is a video I found on YouTube of last night xxx


No comments: